Bringing car to Vienna, NOVA

Come in get yourself a Beer, and tell us about yourself
City_Girl

Post by City_Girl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:43 am

Hello everyone

I have a relatively new 1,5 year old car. I love it, and would not give it up, so now taking it with me to Vienna (from another EU country), but found out that I have to pay NOVA tax once I get to register it in Austria.

Is there a way to avoid or minimise NOVA tax?

Thanks for the input
:-)

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Hey there,

If you have parents in Germany (for example) you could put the car in your parents name and register it at their address - then you would avoid paying the NOVA, and also have cheaper tax and insurance. A lot of Austrians do that if they can.

The problem with that in Vienna is that you cannot get a park pickerl for the inner districts (1-9 & 20) with a foreign car, so basically if you live in central Vienna you will have to leave your car in the outer districts which is not ideal.

For actually importing the car I don't think there is any way to avoid NOVA, however there is some comfort in that paying the NOVA tax to import is still cheaper than buying the same car again in Austria.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
Andreas

City_Girl

Re: Bringing car to Vienna, NOVA

Post by City_Girl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks Andreas!

Interesting about parking - had no idea..
Last edited by City_Girl on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manu
Expert
Expert

Post by manu » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:09 am

So for "not importing" the car is it enough to just park it in a free area of the city?
I live in the 2nd district and I usually park for months in the 10th... No problems there so far (I parked last week around Westbahnhof, I thought "I'm closer!" and found a mirror broken after less than 12 hours, sigh)
My car is not registered here nor anything, it only has its italian plate and valid italian insurance, that's it. I hope I don't find out that something was missing.
But then he is from the Latin race and they are passionate about everything... The only thing an Englishman gets passionate about is the merits of his ale or a pair of fighting cocks. From "Company of Liars"

kartoffel

Post by kartoffel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:01 am

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm in a situation where I need to handle my car and NOVA somehow.

Is the option to "sell" the car to the parents living in another EU country, then "borrow" it from them and drive it in Vienna really legal? Are there any potential pitfalls with that?

Thans

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:12 am

kartoffel wrote:Is the option to "sell" the car to the parents living in another EU country, then "borrow" it from them and drive it in Vienna really legal? Are there any potential pitfalls with that?
Sure it's legal, you're just driving a car in Europe.

There are a few caveats, but I wouldn't say pitfalls.
1. You cannot get a residency parkschein for your district, as it's only possible for cars registered there. Therefore you'll need private parking or park outside districts 1-9 & 20. (if you live outside the inner districts then no problemo)
2. Any parking or speeding tickets are slightly higher because they add the administration fee of finding you in the country registered - and note you still need to pay on time or risk having it confiscated when you cross the border.
3. Legally speaking you can drive for six months at a time before your would theoretically have to register locally, so twice a year arrange a trip to Bratislava, Brno, Budapest, etc. to exit and re-enter Austria.
4. It is less of an issue these days, but make sure your home insurer covers you for extended periods out of the country - this is probably the most important point! If you only get 90 days 'foreign' cover then you cannot do it. If you have an accident they will find out.

It is common for Germans to keep their cars registered their, as they are much cheaper and you do not have to pay NOVA to import them. Also it's not a far drive back to have it TÜV'd (get the Pickerl or MOT), and in Germany it's only required every two years.

wienerschnitzel Czech Republic

Post by wienerschnitzel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 am

Hi everyone,

I wonder if the trick with "borrowing" the car still works. I've checked the current law (§ 82, paragraph 8.) and it seems like it does. However, I read (in some old posts on some other forums) people have been fined anyway. Is there any recent experience how the Austrian polizei actually explain the law to itself now? Thanks in advance!

Was This Topic Useful?