Transfering money in EUR - GBP with Transferwise

Q&A about daily life in Vienna
Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Transfering money in EUR - GBP with Transferwise

Post by Tatt » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 am

Normally I don't like advertising for companies outside of Vienna (or ones that don't sell food :-)), but I have used the Transferwise.com service a couple of times now and I have to say I am quite impressed with the slick operation, and their rates really are mid-market on the day of transfer so you won't get better.

It takes a couple of days from EUR to GBP, so maybe a day longer than a direct SEPA2 bank transfer - but the rate is significantly better for that.

If you have to transfer between the UK and EURO zone I would recommended it.

PeterRayHicks Great Britain

Re: Transfering money in EUR - GBP with Transferwise

Post by PeterRayHicks » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:17 pm

Hey I second that ! Have used Transferwise a few times now and saved quite a lot of money ! Being a HSBC customer I was taken in by the "only £4 for any amount international transfer fee" but didn't realise they freeze the GPB>EUR rate which for my experience so far has been lower than the real time exchange rate. My girlfriend who is with Lloyds was also offered the same "lower" exchange rate. Although the transfer fee for Transferwise is higher you get the money back with the fair exchange rate and save quite a bit, they also tell you how much you save compared to had you used your bank. I think the last big one I did I saved £150.

First time I did it was out of hours on a Friday and had to wait till Monday for the money to come through. Was quite nerve racking with a large amount and first time use but it came through in the end and they send you emails as soon as the money as been converted and is on its way. Other times I have done it during business hours in the weekday and they money has come through in a number of hours like a normal bank transfer !

Definitely give it shot !

They also have a referral program where you get rewards for inviting friends (see below) I was going to cheekily stick my invite code on this post but thought the credit should go to Tatt for recommending it first ! Tatt you should stick your invite code on here !

Cheers

Pete

- Every friend that you invite to TransferWise will receive a discount on their first transfer.

- And for every 3 invited friends who make a transfer over £200 (or equivalent in another supported currency) on TransferWise, you’ll win £50.
Hell, he's a natural-born world-shaker ~ Cool Hand Luke

London_townboy England

Re: Transfering money in EUR - GBP with Transferwise

Post by London_townboy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:00 am

Is TransferWise any good on large sums of money - say if I want to move some GBP to EUR as we're started to get worried that our savings in the UK are plummeting and want to get them out to Austria into a EUR account (we're taking probably enough for a good deposit on a flat).

Was This Topic Useful?