Rent calculator for Vienna

Q&A about daily life in Vienna
Sunshine
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Netherlands

Post by Sunshine » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:00 pm

Just before I went on holiday I found a link in the Heute newspaper that will help you calculate how much rent you should be paying. I ripped it out of the newspaper.. and lost it. Googling didnt get me to the link I was looking for, but it gave me these ones (in German)

http://www2.krone.at/sendung/m/meingeld ... sung_1.php

http://www.mietervereinigung.at/default.aspx?id=91
Last edited by Sunshine on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windscreen"

Sunshine
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Netherlands

Post by Sunshine » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:07 pm

With a note... according to both calculators I pay way too much.. but I dont think my rent is that crazy.. either this calculator is not very realistic, or everyone I know in Vienna pays too much rent..

morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
European Union

Post by morgenhund » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:35 am

I checked out the rental value of my place for example - and realised that the rent might be realistic if the flat were:

1) Unfurnished
2) The rent level displayed on the site excluded Betriebskosten

See if adding approx EUR 2.50 per sq. m. for Betriebskosten brings you closer to the total...
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Sunshine
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Netherlands

Post by Sunshine » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:14 pm

I found that link I mentioned above:
https://www.wien.gv.at/richtwert/anfrage/

morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
European Union

Post by morgenhund » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:49 am

From the Richtwert calculator most people would be paying over the odds I'd be considerably better off renting than owning my place... (based on mortgage payment cf. rental) the price was ridiculously low...
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

macguy14
Expert
Expert

Re: Rent calculator for Vienna

Post by macguy14 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:26 am

how does that acurately say what its "worth" when isn't that dictated by the market and whats in demand etc?

the owner subrents me the flat and the price that website came up with is what she pays, i know b'c i get the bill, but then of course, she charges me 150 more....and still, its an ok price...so the calculator is correct but things aren't that cheap in wien once you actually get down with contracts etc..

morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
European Union

Post by morgenhund » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:21 pm

macguy14 wrote:how does that acurately say what its "worth" when isn't that dictated by the market and whats in demand etc?

the owner subrents me the flat and the price that website came up with is what she pays, i know b'c i get the bill, but then of course, she charges me 150 more....and still, its an ok price...so the calculator is correct but things aren't that cheap in wien once you actually get down with contracts etc..
The Richtwert calculator uses a statistically set price per square metre based on the location. The EUR 150 you pay extra may well be the Betriebskosten - which are not included in the calculation - and a convenient rounding figure. If your place is furnished then the landlady might also be factoring in a nominal amount for wear and tear.

To anyone thinking about whether they should challenge their landlord/landlady about this on the basis of it - I'd say don't bother - unless of course your time isn't worth anything.

@macguy - the owner of a propery lets the flat to you - you would only be subletting if a lessee were to let it out to you. Often contracts explicitely forbid subletting. Me splitting hairs on terminology, but an important distinction!

Sunshine
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Netherlands

Post by Sunshine » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:23 pm

morgenhund wrote:From the Richtwert calculator most people would be paying over the odds I'd be considerably better off renting than owning my place... (based on mortgage payment cf. rental) the price was ridiculously low...
Yes, I used all 3 calculators and the price I should pay is considerably lower than I currently pay.
You must be right about the betriebskosten, but then still the rent turns out lower than I actually pay. This must be the same for everyone, and I do agree that trying to argue with your landlord about it wont make much sense. They do want to make a profit, so they will ask more than the actual value..
Still very odd though, what is the point of this calculator when we all agree that the rent is considerably higher anyways.

ceridwyn

Post by ceridwyn » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:06 am

www2.krone.at/sendung/...sung_1.php
Is the amount calculated at the above site suppose to be per week? or per month?

Bramish
Master
Master
England

Post by Bramish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:44 pm

I just tried with the two at the top. The krone.at says we're paying about 150 under and the other 150 over.

PartyMarty
Former Mod/Admin
Former Mod/Admin
Canada

Post by PartyMarty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:59 pm

This is the important bit in the fine print of those Calculators
Voraussetzung dafür ist, dass das Mietrechtsgesetz anwendbar ist.
Faustregel: Dies ist dann der Fall, wenn dein Wohnhaus vor dem 1.7.1953
oder nachher mit öffentlichen Förderungen errichtet wurde.
If the building was built by the goverment or using goverment funds the rent is controlled and should be close to the value they calculate. If it is private apartment in a private building don't even bother using these calculators, they have no basis for the real market value!

Ewald

Post by Ewald » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 am

PartyMarty wrote:This is the important bit in the fine print of those Calculators
Voraussetzung dafür ist, dass das Mietrechtsgesetz anwendbar ist.
Faustregel: Dies ist dann der Fall, wenn dein Wohnhaus vor dem 1.7.1953
oder nachher mit öffentlichen Förderungen errichtet wurde.
If the building was built by the goverment or using goverment funds the rent is controlled and should be close to the value they calculate. If it is private apartment in a private building don't even bother using these calculators, they have no basis for the real market value!
This link will give you a better idea, what to expect
http://www.wohnnet.at/mietpreise-wien.htm

and in the first district rent might be well above that depending on location

Tatt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Tatt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:44 pm

When I moved to Vienna in 2008 the average price in 2-9 was €10 per sq. metre, give or take. This was also a good rule of thumb when comparing the differences of each place and location.

Now the average price is €14+ which means that private property value should have increased by roughly a third in value in the last five years (at a time when inflation is practically zero!).

By rich-world trends the Austrian market is still underperforming it's historical value (ie. property is cheaper here than other compariable countries) according to the economist.

Should we be all going out and buying a two-bedroom as a retirement bonus?

JamesTheNumberless

Post by JamesTheNumberless » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Tatt wrote:When I moved to Vienna in 2008 the average price in 2-9 was €10 per sq. metre, give or take. This was also a good rule of thumb when comparing the differences of each place and location.

Now the average price is €14+
Unfortunately the company that hired me to work in Vienna were still quoting €10/m^2 in all their recruitment material. I found that it is possible to get that sort of value in the 2-9 districts on the 3rd floor of a building with no lift, or on a busy main road, or for a place with no kitchen that costs another €200/month to heat. I've found something now, priced around €14.5/m^2 in the 5th district - just waiting to see if it's going to be mine!.. On the bright side, this can only help me argue for a better pay-rise once I've proven my worth there :)

Luvbeers
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech
England

Post by Luvbeers » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:51 pm

The best liquor store in Vienna is in the 5th,
Ammersin Gmbh
Wiedner Hauptstrasse 140
1050 Wien
Great beer selection!
Words of Advice For Young People: "Never do business with a religious son-of-a-bitch. His word ain't worth a shit -- not with the Good Lord telling him how to fuck you on the deal." - William S. Burroughs

arthurk85

Post by arthurk85 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:50 pm

What is usually included in Betriebskosten?

Tatt
Site Admin
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Tatt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:04 pm

arthurk85 wrote:What is usually included in Betriebskosten?
Generally the administration and running costs of the building you live in, where each apartment pays a % based on it's square metre size.

Typically includes; refuse collection, lift maintenance, cleaning, electricity and upkeep of communal areas of the building, clearing the snow from the pavement, overhead for the administration company, contribution to and management of the repair fund (typically this is built up over decades, and is used when the building needs a facelift or major repairs).

As a calculation you would usually pay between €2 to €3 per square metre per month.

morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
European Union

Post by morgenhund » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:44 am

It is worth checking regarding lift costs whether it is included by default - in some renovations of Altbauwohnungen the lift costs are separate (due to the fact that the running costs of the lift are sometimes not paid for by all the flats and therefore a separate Lifteigentumsgemeinschäft is formed). Also worth bearing in mind that the amount varies depending on what floor you are on (e.g. lower floors have slightly lower coefficients that top floor flats) although the chances are that the difference in Betriebskosten between say a first floor place and top floor being decisive in whether you can afford a place are negligible.

morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
European Union

Post by morgenhund » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:00 am

The Mietenrechner and Betriebskostenrechner have new URLs:

www.mietenrechner.wien.at
www.betriebskostenrechner.wien.at

However, this value can only be taken as being a maximum for renting where the Mietrechtsgesetz is applicable - otherwise it is a simple matter of supply and demand.

kirschl

Post by kirschl » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:13 pm

these two links are great!
I also wanted to ask how it is with deposit for agents?
For now i just found two sites where I can find flats without deposits once there is http://www.seg.at and http://www.bazar.at. Does anyone know other possibilities to get deposit free flats?

georges
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by georges » Thu May 04, 2017 6:43 am

Tatt wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:04 pm
arthurk85 wrote:What is usually included in Betriebskosten?
Generally the administration and running costs of the building you live in, where each apartment pays a % based on it's square metre size.

Typically includes; refuse collection, lift maintenance, cleaning, electricity and upkeep of communal areas of the building, clearing the snow from the pavement, overhead for the administration company, contribution to and management of the repair fund (typically this is built up over decades, and is used when the building needs a facelift or major repairs).

As a calculation you would usually pay between €2 to €3 per square metre per month.
Thank you for the detailed reply arthurk85!
I have been looking for explanation of this term "Betriebskosten" as it gets mentioned in each rental ad.

So the "Betriebskosten" does not include the costs of the spent water, hot water and heating in the very apartment?
Do these have specific name?

morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
European Union

Post by morgenhund » Thu May 04, 2017 7:51 am

Betriebskosten are usually the costs of refuse collection, drainage and water. They also include electricity for the lighting of common areas (e.g. corridors) and where there is a lift that does not require a key to operate it a contribution towards that.

Heating (gas/electricity/district heating) and electricity are usually paid by the tenant separately.

georges
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by georges » Thu May 04, 2017 7:55 am

Thank you for the detailed reply morgenhund!
morgenhund wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 7:51 am
Heating (gas/electricity/district heating) and electricity are usually paid by the tenant separately.
Is there a single word used for these two: heating + electricity costs?

morgenhund
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
European Union

Post by morgenhund » Thu May 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Utility bills = Versorgungsrechnungen

georges
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by georges » Thu May 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Thank you once again morgenhund!!

Was This Topic Useful?