Where to stay when moving to Vienna?

Q&A about daily life in Vienna
viennaexpats Pirate Flag
Site Admin
Site Admin

Where to stay when moving to Vienna?

Post by viennaexpats » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:50 am

We were recently contacted by someone who is moving to Vienna imminently and doesn't have anywhere to stay, and doesn't have a massive budget for hotel rooms until they get themselves sorted. Where do people recommend they stay?

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Re: Where to stay when moving to Vienna?

Post by morgenhund » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:24 am

I initially stayed in Haus Döbling (now called Base19) as they did summer lets back in the old days. There are frequently students looking for people to take over their rooms for a short-term period (often 3-6 weeks) at various stages of the summer and autumn, and on a pretty ad hoc basis too.

Initially you might want to consider a room in a WG (Wohngemeinschaft) - these come up often at short notice - often either students or young professionals just starting out. Sites like jobwohnen.at and a number of facebook groups have them on a frequent basis.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

volga_volga Hong Kong

Post by volga_volga » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:42 am

I went through the same process recently.

I have used Facebook groups (no result) but finally found a short-term one-bedroom rental via jobwohnen.at. I looked daily through ''mobilierte' + 'Nachmiete' entries - Nachmiete or Zwischenmiete are probably the most likely cases where people would rent out for short-term. Some rent out for a few weeks while they go on holiday; best is to find someone who goes on an extended holiday (2-6 months). But be prepared to commit to a fixed term.

Another option is room4rent.at (min 2 months) and apartmentvienna.at (min 1 month). More expensive than private, but less expensive than hotel or serviced apartment.

Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks for these suggestions - good point about the suggestion of Nachmiete (for the uninitiated - Person taking over a rental agreement) and Zwischenmiete.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

373645tt Netherlands

Post by 373645tt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:24 am

I found my room through thehomelike.com. Room4rent is slightly cheaper but only rentable for 2 months onwards.

Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:15 am

Thanks for the update. Good to know!

curmudgeon Great Britain
VIP
VIP

Post by curmudgeon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 am

The Zwischenmiete situation is fine short-term but worth mentioning that you have to be careful if something goes wrong - I ended up living on a sofa for six weeks due to the person who was subletting to me not being allowed to and when the electrics went wrong and the landlord rumbling them turfing me out.

Was This Topic Useful?