Hallowien

Let site users know about your latest blog posts
Robert Barratt European Union
Expert
Expert

Hallowien

Post by Robert Barratt » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:45 pm

In years to come, the 31st of October will be one of those dates used to torment students of history as the date Britain decided not to leave the EU (as promised). Which is a shame because as we all know the 31st is all about the descent into the darkness and winter which seems like the perfect prognosis for post-Brexit Britain. In any case, papal insider - his eminence Cardinal Barratt – brings you his strictly secular view on Halloween in Vienna. We’ve got Celtic tradition, cemeteries, an empirical study featuring Mrs Barratt and the consequences of the financial crisis of 2008. It’s all here in harrowing and haunting detail:

https://rjbvienna.wordpress.com/2019-2/hallowien/

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Re: Hallowien

Post by morgenhund » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Another marvellous read. Three surly teenagers knocked on our door without any semblance of costume. My little three year old went as the ghost of Niki Lauda (Red cap, white sheet) and enjoyed it until it got too noisy.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Expert
Expert

Post by Robert Barratt » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:23 am

Thanks! This year was noticeably quieter. Our doorbell only rang twice. And one of them was my son's friend. Maybe we have reached "peak" trick or treating. But we still ended up with a carrier bag full of sweets which will probably last us till next year. Anyhow, glad its all over and we can return to the serious of business of preparing for Christmas in November.

curmudgeon Great Britain
VIP
VIP

Post by curmudgeon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:29 pm

It did seem a bit quieter, although I think the fact that I had noise cancelling headphones on for most of the evening might have helped matters. The bizarre thing though was that there was barely any mention of Weltspartag, apart from becostumed Sparefroh's outside Erste branches.

Expert
Expert

Post by Robert Barratt » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:04 pm

That is a good point. Weltspartag gets pushed aside for the pursuit of sweets! But, and I heard this this week on a podcast, Hallowien has seemingly eased aside Bonfire / Firework Night in the UK. And I can definitely remember as a kid and into my teens (70s and 80s) that Bonfire Night was a big (ish) thing. Have thought about doing some version of it here in the garden but I am sure somebody would call the police. So maybe just a large fire with an effigy of ... (fill in gap depending on preference).

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:54 pm

Robert Barratt wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:04 pm
I heard this this week on a podcast, Hallowien has seemingly eased aside Bonfire / Firework Night in the UK. And I can definitely remember as a kid and into my teens (70s and 80s) that Bonfire Night was a big (ish) thing.
I think part of the issue is that the fireworks have been sanitised in terms of bangs and danger, and that it is now about going to an organised display that is with paying admission. I have distance memories of the halcyon days of bonfire night - beef burger in a bread roll or a mug of cuppa soup. Still remember a friend losing a glove at the one we held, and it was discovered chewed near a badger sett.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Was This Topic Useful?