new here, looking for friends and artists!

Come in get yourself a Beer, and tell us about yourself
novymir

Post by novymir » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi all..I'm 26, American, female, just relocated to Vienna until probably the end of the year. I'll be in and out during the next few weeks (trip to Budapest with visiting friends, then back to my previous home of Berlin to sort out some visa issues, yuck) but would love to meet people here soon, as I don't know anyone. I'm fairly shy so if anyone knows of smallish events or bar gatherings that would be great! I speak a little German from my past year in Berlin and going to do a course here as well but prefer English.

I'm living in Döbling, it's lovely but seems a bit quiet so any knowledge of the neighborhood or good places for drinks around here would be so welcome and much appreciated :)

Also I work as an art model (among other things), very experienced with it, have worked the past 6+ years in New York, Berlin, Paris, and western France, so anyone needing such services or connected to the Viennese artsy world please feel free to get in touch as well. Looking forward to meeting!

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new here, looking for friends and artists!

Post by Tatt » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Hey there novymir,

Coming from an ubercool city like Berlin you'll have to get used to Vienna's more sedate pace of life, however it is a pleasant place to live! What are you doing apart from standing around in front of artists?

We organise events about once a month for our members, where shy people like yourself can watch us from behind a nearby bush or tree in confidence.

During the summer months we like to barbecue on the Donau Island, the next one is scheduled 4th August if you can make it. We're not a big crowed, maybe 20 to 30 people at most events (though less at the last BBQ, as the weather was a little inclement)
http://www.vienna-expats.net/community- ... 6/t,16657/

Hope to meet up soon :-)

novymir

Post by novymir » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi! Berlin is ubercool, I suppose, but a bit crazy too. I fell for Vienna after working on a travel writing project here last December, looked for jobs but nothing panned out, decided to come on my own anyway. It was the more sedate, quiet aspect that was attractive - I love a big city with a calmer pace. A year in wild Berlin was enough! Other than staying still for artists I work as a freelance writer, doing travel projects and really any kind of writing work that comes my way, including my own when I can manage it.

I saw the upcoming barbecue and it definitely seemed like something I'd be interested in watching from behind a nearby tree, but I'll have two friends visiting at the time and we're leaving on an evening train to Budapest that night...but if they'd be interested and it's alright maybe we can come at the beginning? It sounds really lovely and thank you for the invite!

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Döbling is nice and quiet - lots of families. best places are closest to U6 Nussdorferstrasse e.g. Shiraz, Grand Latte, Blaustern with a big WU crowd.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

novymir

Post by novymir » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:26 am

that's the kind of thing I was looking for...I'm closest to the S bahn at Oberdöbling/tram at Silbergasse, this area seems pretty family-centric...I think I might have been around Nussdorferstrasse area before during a visit here, will check it out again..thank you!

Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:31 am

Btw just realised that the student dynamic has changed as the WU moved. The 19th is residential and I must admit I have grown very fond of the quieter life out here.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

michael.fitzpatrick

Post by michael.fitzpatrick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:50 am

Hello, are you still in Vienna? I just arrived from Tokyo. I'm also a freelance writer .. previously an artist .. wondered how you got on in Vienna.

Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi Michael - not sure if novymir is still around or not, but Vienna Expats is/are. We have a Meet and Greet event next week (6pm, Wednesday 23rd August at Sand in the City (just by the InterContinental Hotel by the U4 station at Stadtpark). There is also a barbecue next Sunday (20th August) - further details - http://www.vienna-expats.at/vienna-expa ... cues-2017/

Hope to see you at events and do feel shy to ask questions about Vienna - from my limited experiences of Tokyo you'll find here a big difference!

Was This Topic Useful?