Introducing...Joe

Come in get yourself a Beer, and tell us about yourself
OtherJoe United States of America

Introducing...Joe

Post by OtherJoe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:32 am

Hello All,

My name is Joe. I am a 36 year old US expat living in Neusiedl am See, Burgenland. I have been in Austria 18 months and I have found the move challenging. I suppose a lot of people have had a similar experience.

Before my move I was doing well in a Sales role for a tech company in the solar power industry. I enjoyed the culture that Vermont had to offer and really like the young open vibe in Burlington where I lived. In my former life I was a DJ, house music, and would play out often. I still love music but the late nights don't jive with my young children.

I moved here because my wife wanted to be back home. She is Austrian and we spent the 1st 10 years in the US. I spoke no German and have learned a little here (A1). I am continuing to teach myself German. Suffice to say finding work has been a difficult and frustrating process.

I want this move to be a positive growing experience so I am trying to put myself out there. I am friendly and gregarious though not being able to communicate with people has made me appear reserved and quiet. Life in Neusiedl feels very isolated.

I would like to here from others who have started over and have successfully connected with Austria. What worked for you, what didn't. I would love to here any advice you may have.

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Introducing...Joe

Post by Tatt » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi Joe,

I also moved to Vienna for the Austrian woman in my life and a few years ago produced a new Austrian (she did probably most of the production effort, to be fair).

Personally I found the process exciting and relatively easy; speaking native English (and not german) was an advantage for me working in IT. Living in the city is friendly, cosmopolitan and while Vienna is not London, it certainly has some stuff going on.

Maybe the difference is Vienna vs Neusiedl - I expect it's much more difficult to find outlets for your talents in English there.

You are less than an hour away by train from Neusiedl to Vienna Wien Mitte - next week we are having a regular meet and greet party you could come along to
http://vienna-expats.at/communityforums/6/20305.html

We are english speaking, not-too-serious kind of folks, with a wide social mix. Leave the kids with your missus for the evening and take the train into the city for a pint!

Regarding a job; I would encourage you to look for English speaking roles in Vienna if you're not already
http://www.monster.at

Luvbeers England
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech
Eitrige, Buckl, Blech

Post by Luvbeers » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:11 pm

Got to move into the city. I take it the wife's folks are out in Neusiedl. Try to separate yourselves a little bit from them or else it will kill you.
Words of Advice For Young People: "Never do business with a religious son-of-a-bitch. His word ain't worth a shit -- not with the Good Lord telling him how to fuck you on the deal." - William S. Burroughs

OtherJoe United States of America

Post by OtherJoe » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:03 am

Oma and Opa are in Neusiedl as is my wife's job. Unfortunately moving into the city isn't an option. My wife grew up here and this is where she wants to be.

I will be sure to check out the meet up next week. I haven't tried monster.at so I will add that to the mix. I mostly use karriere.at and profesia.sk. Bratislava and Vienna are about the same commute for me.

I appreciate the responses, it'll be nice for me to establish a local network again.

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:36 am

OtherJoe wrote:Oma and Opa are in Neusiedl as is my wife's job. Unfortunately moving into the city isn't an option. My wife grew up here and this is where she wants to be.
She did a ten stretch in the US for you, I guess you have to do the same now in the Austrian countryside.
OtherJoe wrote:I will be sure to check out the meet up next week.
Looking forward to meeting up, we will be in the party room downstairs! I'll bring my laptop you can select some tunes ;-)

camberstadium United States of America

Post by camberstadium » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:21 am

How to reduce electricity bills?

Was This Topic Useful?