Austrian born returning to live permanently

Born in Linz and moved to USA at age 5. Now just turned 29 and ready to return to live in Austria permanently

Come in get yourself a Beer, and tell us about yourself
DenisU Austria

Austrian born returning to live permanently

Post by DenisU » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:15 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Denis Ugurlu and I have decided to after many years living in America, I am ready to return to my home country of Austria. I move with some of my family to America when I was only 5. I have returned to Austria to visit, but always felt I would return at some point in my life. Now is the time! I am more than excited for my return and to reconnect with my culture and home country (and most importantly get my first language fluent once again!).

I'll be focusing on my performance work while out in Europe. I train and work mostly in the physical realm of performance so physical theatre, circus, movement directing, stunts, etc (www.MorphicMovement.com).

However, I'll be focusing on finding any work in my first steps of the move catered all of my work experiences (marketing and events, bartending, tutoring, etc)

Looking forward to meeting some others within the community and to finally move out!

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Re: Austrian born returning to live permanently

Post by morgenhund » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi there, are you an Austrian citizen still? And are coming to Vienna? We have a list of bars to try to get jobs at in Vienna if that is an initial plan.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

DenisU Austria

Post by DenisU » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:49 pm

Hey there! Yes, I am an Austrian citizen and am focusing on moving to Vienna.

Thank you for the link! I did see the forum for English speaking bar jobs in Vienna. Do you think it would be better to send emails before I move to Vienna (while I am still in America) or will it be better to email when I arrive to Vienna?

Thanks Again! Looking forward to moving back!

Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:05 am

You'll have more luck probably doing the bar to bar thing once here. Simply because they might want to give you a trial shift rather than going for a speculative punt via an e-mail.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

DenisU Austria

Post by DenisU » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:06 pm

Yeah that's what I assumed. A little silly to apply from the other side of the world for a bar position. Well time to get packing! Thanks for the help, looking forward to moving back soon!

Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:55 am

Just a thought. You are aware that returning to Austria might trigger your military service obligation. It is compulsory for all males between 18 and 35 with Austrian citizenship? There is the possibility to do alternative civilian service too.

DenisU Austria

Post by DenisU » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Yes I am aware. Thank you for the heads up. I have 2 digestive diseases that keep me from being able to complete military service. When I move, I will have all my labs and doctor reports. I know I have to head to the government office within the first 3 weeks to notify them I have returned.

I'm going through this with my Turkish citizenship right now so at least I will have all my papers and labs organized.

Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:42 pm

DenisU wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:57 pm
Yes I am aware. Thank you for the heads up. I have 2 digestive diseases that keep me from being able to complete military service. When I move, I will have all my labs and doctor reports. I know I have to head to the government office within the first 3 weeks to notify them I have returned.

I'm going through this with my Turkish citizenship right now so at least I will have all my papers and labs organized.
Just to check on the Austrian/Turkish citizenship front - I presume in your case that they are both held by descent (durch Abstammung) from birth and that one was not acquired after the other. The reason I mention it is as I have naturalised as an Austrian and had to renounce my British citizenship, and there is a sometime hostile environment from the FPÖ about dual nationality, with the issue often being highlighted about joint Austrian/Turkish citizenship or other non-EU nationalities from SE Europe.

The joint Turkish/Austrian citizenship issue is a political hot potato over here, due to cases of Austrian citizenship only being gained by naturalisation (durch Verleihung) which in turn necessitates renunciation of the previous citizenship (unless there is a proven case of not being able to renounce (Unzumutbarkeit des Zurücklegens der Staatsbürgerschaft)) and where in the case of reapplying for the renounced citizenship the Austrian citizenship is lost at the legal instant of regaining the previous citizenship.

It seems to flare up from time to time in the news.

Make sure that you have your Staatsbürgerschaftsnachweis and Turkish equivalent from birth to assuage any doubts the authorities might have in this regard. Worth making sure that this is sorted, before the authorities make life difficult (Austrian authorities have a tendency to throw up things like this).

DenisU Austria

Post by DenisU » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Ooof, yeah that is what I was a little worried about. I have been keeping updated but I also have been listening to my (Turkish) Father who lives in Austria and I believe some information is outdated and not confident.

I do have American as well and all were held by descent and I feel this might also put me in very a strange situation.

I have read a little about the Turkish/Austrian joint citizenship and I can see how it can be in political murky waters. It's difficult to listen to some family members for information because I feel as though it is a biased and not correct. Especially having a Turkish father who wants for me to keep this citizenship as well.

I have no plans on renouncing my Austrian Citizenship, especially with my move back. It is a part of who I am. I will be sure to arrive with all my paperwork and be in constant communication to make sure things are going to be figured out.

Thank you so much for the heads up! I really appreciate all of this help and advice! :)

Was This Topic Useful?