Rivers and Streams

Let site users know about your latest blog posts
Robert Barratt European Union
Expert
Expert

Rivers and Streams

Post by Robert Barratt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:34 am

Everyone has heard of the Danube in Vienna and if you live here, you might even have seen it. But did you know there are actually 27 river / streams running through the city? No, me neither. In any case, Vienna's own water divination expert, Robert Barratt, has been exploring one of the streams - the Liesing - in Vienna's fashionable 23rd district. In this first part he considers Vienna's relationship with water and reveals why the number one city ranking is under serious threat from those clown cars in the first district that park outside the Hofburg. More here:

https://rjbvienna.wordpress.com/2019-2/ ... d-streams/

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Re: Rivers and Streams

Post by morgenhund » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 am

I read your post after seeing a tweet about it. It made me realise how little of Vienna I actually see (typically commute 19th to 9th and back). The post inspired me to take my little boy on an adventure on Sunday - and we headed out to Siebenhirten and then Vösendorf and back in on the Badnerbahn before crossing the 10th by tram and bus. I must get blogging about my neck of the woods.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Expert
Expert

Post by Robert Barratt » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Hey, Great! To be fair, I don't get over your side of Vienna that much these days (i.e. never). But given work I do travel about a bit more than most. So today I have done the 12th, 9th and 1st. And, yes, I can confirm: it is hot out there.

Expert
Expert

Post by Robert Barratt » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:14 pm

ps - Vösendorf - home of my local butcher these days. Bloody marvellous. The Schlossheuriger aint that bad either. But I was there on Friday and noticed that there is a similar campaign to the one in Oberlaa" to stop the building of new flats. I think their tagline was something like "Vösendorf statt Vösenstadt". But this tells you something about the spread of Vienna or the need to build more flats near the city (which I presume are more affordable). In other words, the success of Vienna is putting real pressure on these mostly ignored villages (which I suspect as recent as 5 - 10 years ago were not exactly popular places to live.

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Every year for the last six or so, I have had a plan to go out in every district (before that the plan was the 23 District pubcrawl). I flunk it every year, but am eternally optimistic that I will one day manage it (semi expect it'll be doing chaperoning dad duties!)
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Expert
Expert

Post by Robert Barratt » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:55 am

Expert
Expert

Post by Robert Barratt » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:00 pm

Was This Topic Useful?