Argh

The place to greet and chat On-line
Miss_Muppet
Master
Master

Re: Argh

Post by Miss_Muppet » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:48 am

Latest post of the previous page:

My hairdresser's on holidays for 2 weeks, and i have half a head of regrowth.
argh.

_rip United States of America
Master
Master

Post by _rip » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:48 pm

With my spouse leaving, I am now officially no longer allowed to work in Austria.

Last day of work, 13 Aug, then a month of terminal leave.

Thanks Vienna. It's been fun. But I guess it's time to go.
scribble.

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:21 pm

_rip wrote:With my spouse leaving, I am now officially no longer allowed to work in Austria.

That's bad news rip!

I have a cunning plan... why don't you marry Arigona Zogaj instead - then you will be able to stay and live in Austria.

Andreas

Parsifal
Expert
Expert

Post by Parsifal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Tatt wrote:I have a cunning plan... why don't you marry Arigona Zogaj instead - then you will be able to stay and live in Austria.

Andreas
I think she already got a proposal from Alfons Haider... I'd love to know what that man wouldn't do for publicity.

Master
Master

Post by _rip » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:31 am

Tatt wrote: That's bad news rip!

I have a cunning plan... why don't you marry Arigona Zogaj instead - then you will be able to stay and live in Austria.

Andreas
Actually it makes perfect sense. You can let people like the Zogaj in, and people from other disadvantaged populaces. See, the types of jobs they'll be taking are the ones no self respecting Austrian would take, because it would be beneath them. The job I have, however, pays really really well, has status, etc, and there are probably two, maybe three Austrians who are qualified to do it. So they need to make sure that job stays available for them when they get out of uni, or retire or something in a couple years.

*sigh*
scribble.

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:53 am

_rip wrote:The job I have, ...there are probably two, maybe three Austrians who are qualified to do it.
I assume you've discussed with your company about sponsoring you to get a working visa?

I know we discussed it here a few times; as I understand it if you have a company behind you saying you're the guy for the job, and a reasonable lawyer, you have a very good chance of approval as a US citizen.

If you offered to pay the lawyer yourself it would only cost your company a few letters of support.

Worth a try?

Andreas

Master
Master

Post by _rip » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:06 pm

What next, World.
scribble.

Snowdog
Master
Master

Post by Snowdog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:11 pm

_rip wrote:With my spouse leaving, I am now officially no longer allowed to work in Austria.

WTF? rip what is going on? I thought you had everything settled. Let us know what is going on, we are back from Holiday and there are three p-o-p bottles waiting here for you.

80% of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at, author unknown

Master
Master

Post by _rip » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:35 pm

here's the thing.

The position I hold is a technical position. So long as I was here legally, could work legally, I could hold the job.

As soon as spouse leaves, I get thrown back into the pool as it were. The company would need to advertise the position, and then justify hiring a foreigner (me). I would then, in theory, be given the Niederlassungsbewilligung - Schluesselkraft (unselbstaetig) that I need to continue to work in the position which I've held for 2+ years.

Problem: I don't have a technical degree (my BA is in French, yeah? not very 'related subject'). I don't have an advanced degree (2/3ds of the way through an MBA, but, you know, you don't have it _now_). I don't have a recent job history because I'm a following dad, and the company's reference wouldn't count, as they are a biased party.

Consequently, the company would not be able to legally justify hiring me, over some local/EU etc person who is already in the country. If _anyone_ applied for the job, the company wouldn't be able to give it to me.

So there you go. No job. No worky, no survivy.

I'll be heading down Monday to MA35 on Dresdnerstr. to see if I can at least salvage a Student visa, which would allow me to stay here to finish the degree -- but without working, how to PAY for said courses for said degree?

Is a problem, aye.

My life, eet eez zee suck at zee moment.

BTW, my mom is flying in tomorrow (do I bother to mention that after we made these plans, spouse up and took the kids to GERMANY and is LEAVING THEM THERE when she returns. So if my mom wants to see her g'kids, we have to travel to Northern Germany to do so? Sounds like spouse, eh?)
scribble.

Bramish England
Master
Master

Post by Bramish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:04 am

Man that's awful. Good luck with everything and I hope it works out.

t_in_vienna
Former Mod/Admin
Former Mod/Admin

Post by t_in_vienna » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:40 pm

_rip_ - just saw this! I'm sorry! What a crappy situation!!
I'm just like every modern woman trying to have it all. A loving husband, a family. I only wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade. That's all.

Stilly
Expert
Expert

Post by Stilly » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:54 pm

As if the street constuction isn't loud and annoying enough in front of my building, I found out today the building directly behind me is going to be demolished and rebuilt over the next year!! I can kiss my private terrace and quiet courtyard goodbye :(

itoh Belgium
VIP
VIP

Post by itoh » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:57 pm

So, I was planning to leave the office today at 2, so that I can spent time with my sister and drive to Niederösterreich for the weekend. Then my boss called and sheduled a meeting for 3PM. Right now it 5Pm and the meeting hasn't started yet. AArrrgggghhhh
I am soooooo not amused by this!

Snowdog
Master
Master

Post by Snowdog » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 am

Phone just died and I cannot send text at all. Must head to Saturn to replace the beast.

Snowdog
Master
Master

Post by Snowdog » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:52 am

Laid up for three days with my foot in the air. Bone spur removal is not fun. Surgery was fast, however the foot is in pain. :roll:

I'm hoping the posts on the forum are great so I have some distractions while recovering. :)

Laura

Post by Laura » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:24 pm

I have lost my camera - or it has been stolen. I'm gutted as I had photos on there which I hadn't had the time to download. I'm leaving Vienna tomorrow so it is the last thing I need.

Snowdog
Master
Master

Post by Snowdog » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Laura wrote:I have lost my camera - or it has been stolen. I'm gutted as I had photos on there which I hadn't had the time to download. I'm leaving Vienna tomorrow so it is the last thing I need.
Sorry to hear about the camera. If there are any images of places or people I might have let me know. I will forward them via e-mail.

Good Luck on the move. Sam also says good luck, good fortune, and may you always have fair winds. She is also is indicating if you are ever back in Wien let us know.

Snowdog

Bramish England
Master
Master

Post by Bramish » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 am

I should be opening the bar right now but someone left with my key, locking me in my flat. First time ever I won't be at work on time and it's infuriating.

Laura

Post by Laura » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Snowdog wrote:
Laura wrote:I have lost my camera - or it has been stolen. I'm gutted as I had photos on there which I hadn't had the time to download. I'm leaving Vienna tomorrow so it is the last thing I need.
Sorry to hear about the camera. If there are any images of places or people I might have let me know. I will forward them via e-mail.

Good Luck on the move. Sam also says good luck, good fortune, and may you always have fair winds. She is also is indicating if you are ever back in Wien let us know.

Snowdog
Thank you!

Bramish England
Master
Master

Post by Bramish » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 am

Broke my little toe on Saturday night - it's my third toe breakage this year!

Took Sunday night off work but foolishly agreed to cover someone today as I felt bad about calling in sick. Hope my customers can tolerate a slow, limping waiter.

flagirl

Post by flagirl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Got kicked out of the kitchen and told to go relax and not worry about the dishes on my day off. Only to wake up to a sinkful of dirty dishes the next day. In cold gross water. With the dishrag and sponge in the dirty water. Either do the dishes yourself or let me do them on my day off. Arrgh. :mr_gay_banana: :mr_gay_banana: :mr_gay_banana: :mr_gay_banana: (Mr.Gay Banana has nothing to do with my rant, I've just missed him. Plus, it's hard to stay annoyed when something so awesome exists)
It's better than a slap in the face with a frozen codfish.

djbraun
Professional
Professional

Post by djbraun » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Mr. Dancing Gay Banana is a lift, that's for sure. His influence nonwithstanding, I seriously miss my washing machine!
Thank you, ancient machine, for lasting this long. Argh, ancient machine, for choosing now to die.

Sunshine Netherlands
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by Sunshine » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:20 am

I think it is a hurray, because now you can buy a new one! I just ordered one for my new flat, and am so looking forward to the luxury of a brand new washing machine!
"Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windscreen"

ebony

Post by ebony » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:25 pm

I just had the same kind of argument with my significant other. He claims he always has to do the dishes, but that mean he takes them all into the bathroom sink (we don´t have hot water in the kitchen ) where they stay for days in that same cold dirty water. And I am supposed to wash my teeth there!?
And yes, he does the dishes, but first he gathers all of them in there and then when we´re out of dishes and cutlery, he does them and still leaves them all into the bathroom. So far I have´nt said much since it is not my favourite household job, but it seems it is easier to do them myself, in my kitchen and leave them into my kitchen!
Must write an angry mail to Santa about the terrible delay of my dishwasher! Or a new bf!

catweasel England
Professional
Professional

Post by catweasel » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:18 am

insomnia is really starting to piss me off
Ich schaue stattlich, ich schaue intelligent, ich bin ein gehendes Kunstwerk!

Creative88

Post by Creative88 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Hey everyone! I don't know if anyone is on right now but I was just wondering how you ended up in Vienna, how long you have been here and if you like it ;)

Was This Topic Useful?