Scottish Independence - does it really matter?

Whats going on in the world around us
Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scottish Independence - does it really matter?

Post by Tatt » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Like many a British expat I have been explaining my colleagues of late about just why Scotland is actually voting, and dispatching the notion that 90% of Scots want to be rid of their colonial overlords as occasionally mentioned in the Austrian press (just to say: despite a number of battles either way Scotland was never conquered by the English, there were two mutual acts of union).

Despite having lived outside of the UK now for over ten years I still consider it my spiritual home - I am still British, and am reasonably proud to tell folks I come from the UK.

I feel affection for the old place, even if I don't want to live there right now. Maybe one day I will.

The majority vote for the SNP gave Scotland the right to a referendum, I understand and appreciate the politics.

And yet it feels to me like Scottish Independence would break up our heritage.

Arguments about the currency, debt and oil all seem fairly small in scope compared with the idea of the nation state. In the end an independent Scotland will spend her oil wealth as she see's fit, like any other nation, and she will have a rich and stable currency as any oil producer in Western Europe would expect. And no doubt in the final divorce proceedings there will be an amicable split of assets and liabilities.

So why is the argument about such seemingly straightforward topics the be all and end all of the discussion and consequence?

Anyway the point I am slowly coming to is does the feeling of a nation state actually matter much to long term expats? I suppose we will still have a United Whatever, and the passport will be equally as valid and nothing else will change.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia of reshaping something which was considered set.

If of course Scotland does vote to leave the union then good luck to them, and in another ten years people on both sides might wonder what all the fuss was about. Scotland isn't going to sink, they'll still be in the EU and a substantial part of Great Britain.

slater1

Re: Scottish Independence - does it really matter?

Post by slater1 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:40 am

I tend to agree with you, the two countries have been together in one state for such a long time, and should stay together. I don't really see Scotland as another country. Obviously very many Scots see that differently. The oil will run out at some point and then what will they have as a form of resources?

catweasel England
Professional
Professional

Re: Scottish Independence - does it really matter?

Post by catweasel » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Let them go I say. I'd welcome Scotland's independence from England, just as I'd welcome England's independence from Scotland.

The Empire is dead, long live the Commonwealth.
Ich schaue stattlich, ich schaue intelligent, ich bin ein gehendes Kunstwerk!

Was This Topic Useful?