The god Delusion

Tell us about that book you just finished or movie you just saw.
sownd_f_x
VIP
VIP

The god Delusion

Post by sownd_f_x » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 am

Just finally got my copy of "The god Delusion" by Richard Dawkins from Amazon. Cant wait to open a bottle of red wine and settle into it. Anyone else out there read it? What do you think?

Ciao for now!
Last edited by sownd_f_x on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ozmatt
Professional
Professional

The god Delusion

Post by Ozmatt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:53 am

I read it and was impressed. Although it is fairly challenging to get through at times.

manu
Expert
Expert

The god Delusion

Post by manu » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:35 am

I started reading it on a sort of cruise on a small boat in the open red sea - when they told us the wind was unusually strong and the waves incredibly high for the time...
I stopped reading it right away :P
But then he is from the Latin race and they are passionate about everything... The only thing an Englishman gets passionate about is the merits of his ale or a pair of fighting cocks. From "Company of Liars"

CapnNismo
Luminary
Luminary

The god Delusion

Post by CapnNismo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:56 am

What is it about?

sownd_f_x
VIP
VIP

Re: The god Delusion

Post by sownd_f_x » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:37 am

CapnNismo wrote:What is it about?
I think its about the delusion of there being a god....

:grin:

Parsifal
Expert
Expert

Re: The god Delusion

Post by Parsifal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:36 am

CapnNismo wrote:What is it about?
Goodness me, where have you been over the last few years? The God Delusion is a best-selling book that makes the case for atheism over religious belief. Dawkins' most controversial claim is that God probably does not exist. He has therefore become a very polarising figure; hated by the religious right, and questioned even by supporters of atheism for being too strident.

I have read the book. There's nothing too original about it; Dawkins essentially takes a megaphone and broadcasts the conclusions implicit in Darwin's work. It is heavily polemical and even shrill in places where it needn't have been. This is important, because Dawkins' main aim seems to be to convert readers to his point of view (nice religious irony there), and I think one of the effects of his tone has been to encourage just as many people to run into the welcoming bosom of Christian fundamentalism.

Saying that, I agreed with everything in the book and have shared similar thoughts about organised religion for many years. I think that Dawkins' suggestion of banning religious schools and the practice of baptising children under the age of consent into a faith would lead to greater civility and fewer contrived divisions in the world.

However, this book was clearly written in a hurry and for an airport audience. Dawkins never satisfyingly grapples with the connectedness of religious faith and doctrines to moral codes that even the most ardent secularist would uphold (thou shalt not kill for instance). It is a very difficult question that would have benefited from more engagement; try explaining using only the humanist tools of reason and thought why we shouldn't kill each other, and you end up with as many convincing arguments for as against. Dawkins missed an opportunity to offer an elegant and intellectually coherent secularist alternative to compare with the unconditional clarity of moral codes associated with religion, which is why this book is open to criticism for merely replacing faith with faith. I suspect that although he is a very brainy individual he doesn't quite have the intellect for it. I think it will take another Darwin to convincingly separate secular ethics from religion, and thus demonstrate that religious faith really is stupid and unnecessary, as Dawkins contends.
Last edited by Parsifal on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angie_Baby
VIP
VIP

The god Delusion

Post by Angie_Baby » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Read it - awesome book, some very interesting arguments!

Was This Topic Useful?