Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey

Tell us about that book you just finished or movie you just saw.
_kat_ Russia
Former Mod/Admin
Former Mod/Admin

Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey

Post by _kat_ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:44 am

Here be spoilers, you have been warned

Let me say first and foremost that the very first movie of the Lord of the Rings did nothing for me - I found it boring , stretched out, etc. The other two were much better, imho mainly because of the battle scenes. But to be fair even as a kid I preferred Hobbit (the book) to the trilogy.
So obviously I was excited to see this movie, right up until I realised they made that into a trilogy as well. I ended up in the movie theatre with mixed feelings. Well let me tell you, it was great.

The storyline got stretched but in a good way, characters that theoretically you only hear from in the other books have been introduced and the details of costumes, props, etc., are amazing. We watched it in 3D and to be fair did not even realise that the 3D was on. I guess for the same reason that the almost three hour movie felt like no time at all.
So yes, it is a good one - definitely worth watching.
The only problem for me was the cartoonish way the orcs were portrayed, the most annoying was the main white one-handed one. To me it looked not menacing enough and more like a video game character.
The most unexpected were the songs, and if I knew that the dwarfs were going to be singing (judging from the trailers) then the blob of a king's song was def a surprise.

When in charge ponder. When in trouble delegate. When in doubt mumble. When asked to clarify, say "Trust me".

free333

Re: Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey

Post by free333 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 pm

I also watched it at the opening day and i was disappointing somehow i expect something more that`s probably because of the media and the huge expectation of an amazing 3D ,even if i enjoy watching Smigol "or whatever the name of this creature" again cause i love him lol, but at the end of the movie i was shocked ,It is the same of the old 3 parts of the Lord of the ring movie , 3 houtrs only the way or even half way to the final war and i cant handle that video game themes anymore ! kat i hope you recommend me with a good 3D movie . have a nice time

VerryBerry

Post by VerryBerry » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:06 pm

free333 - I'm with you on that one. I just thought it was stretched battle after stretched battle after stretched battle.. shame, I was expecting a lot more from it.. :-(
but hey ho, each to their own! :-)

Mrs Trellis Austria
VIP
VIP

Post by Mrs Trellis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:34 pm

I saw it recently. It´s rubbish.

Tatt Great Britain
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tatt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:45 pm

Mrs Trellis wrote:I saw it recently. It´s rubbish.
Nice review, I can work with that. Much better than all the wordy derivative stuff.

Mrs Trellis Austria
VIP
VIP

Post by Mrs Trellis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 am

Tatt wrote:
Mrs Trellis wrote:I saw it recently. It´s rubbish.
Nice review, I can work with that. Much better than all the wordy derivative stuff.
My problem with the film was that it was not how I imagined it to be when I read the book 20 years ago. The book is excellent, and I had a clear image in my mind of the whole story. Sadly the film doesn´t match what I had in my mind after reading the book. My own fault really, I should have kept my own images and not bothered seeing the film.

Bramish England
Master
Master

Post by Bramish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 am

VerryBerry wrote:free333 - I'm with you on that one. I just thought it was stretched battle after stretched battle after stretched battle.. shame, I was expecting a lot more from it.. :-(
but hey ho, each to their own! :-)
This.

catweasel England
Professional
Professional

Post by catweasel » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:44 pm

I thought it was OK but IMO Jackson seemed to be conflicted. Was he telling a story for kids to watch or adults? He tried both and, IMO, failed.

I'd not be comfortable have small children watch the film whilst I'd be only too happy to have them read the book. And from an adult's perspective, well, from mine anyway, the narrative was too disjointed.

Still, it was...OK - glad I watched it at home though. 2 hours and 50 minutes of that in the kino would have been about 1 hour too long.
Ich schaue stattlich, ich schaue intelligent, ich bin ein gehendes Kunstwerk!

Was This Topic Useful?