Affordable German lessons

Questions about studying (at Uni) or learning (at schools) in Vienna.
Talim Canada

Affordable German lessons

Post by Talim » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:51 am

Hello,

I am a Canadian and just moved to Vienna under the family reunification visa. I was told I am not entitled to free German lessons ( not sure why), however, am quite eager to learn. Most schools charge hundreds of Euros, and was wondering if there are more affordable/free German lessons offered?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tali

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Re: Affordable German lessons

Post by morgenhund » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:44 pm

You could try the VHS (Volkshochschule) - you might be able to get Bildungsgutscheine from the VHS to absorb some of the cost. Free tends to be Tandem (e.g. German/English or German/French maybe depending on which you speak in Canada) - otherwise try with students. Many advertise in supermarkets. Certainly cheaper than private tuition otherwise...
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Deleted User 14631

Post by Deleted User 14631 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Worth adding that a lot of the VHS places also hold the ÖSD exam.

txesba

Post by txesba » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:30 am

Talim wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:51 am
...am quite eager to learn. Most schools charge hundreds of Euros, and was wondering if there are more affordable/free German lessons offered?
If you are eager to learn, then you should try learning on your own. There is a saying which I find to be very true: "There are no language teachers, only language learners." Even with the best language class, you will mostly get out of it what you put into it.
And there is so much excellent (and mostly free) material available for learning German, that even the least auto-didactic people can benefit. Just hoisting yourself up to a solid A1 level will save you €300+.

Here are my recommendations:
1. Get a self-study grammar book for your level (not a course book). Don't worry about going through it in order, just do what makes the most sense. If you don't understand something, skip over that lesson and return to it later. I personally like this series; but you should really just go to Thalia or the Facultas campus bookshop (inside the AAKH; Alser Str. 4) and look through the books to see which is clearest to you.

2. The internet. There are thousands of videos for learning German on youtube. I highly recommend the Easy German series. All videos are subtitled in German and English. For beginners they have a 'Super Easy German' series where they speak extra slow using basic expressions and vocab (and still with the dual subtitles.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r94aqLUO0wo Don't be afraid to watch the videos more than once!

Also a good site is 'Slow German'. Her series for absolute beginners is actually in English, but even the regular lessons can be used by a beginner because you have the text to read along with. http://slowgerman.com/category/absolute-beginner/
(The site is free, but for 20€/year you can buy a membership which gives you access to the exercises she creates to go along with the lessons.)

3. As morgenhund recommened, a language exchange (Sprachtandem). The Uni Wien language center has an online platform for finding a language exchange. You can answer someone's ad, or put your own. https://sprachenzentrum.univie.ac.at/en ... eneKurse=0
Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work out at first. Finding a good Tandem partner can be difficult.

4. Check out the ÖSD example tests (http://www.osd.at/default.aspx?SIid=17&LAid=2) to gauge your level/progress.

Also, if you start working (not sure if it has to be full-time) and are registered at the AK (Arbeitskammer) you should be entitled to 120€ worth of vouchers per year for further education (i.e. German courses).

German teacher Austria

Post by German teacher » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:47 pm

If you are at least on A2 level you could also take a look at these self-organized conversation groups in Vienna at the bottom of this page. They're mostly free of charge, without any obligations and some are even supported by a German teacher: https://www.germanteacher.at/conversation-classes/ I update the list regularly, so the groups are really exist.

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:46 am

You might also like www.sprachencafewien.com that is organised by Valentino, who comes to our events.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Was This Topic Useful?