Tips and advice about moving from the UK to Vienna

Come in get yourself a Beer, and tell us about yourself
STomczack Brazil

Tips and advice about moving from the UK to Vienna

Post by STomczack » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi all,

I am moving to Vienna in 16 days and was wondering what you think are the first/most important things I should do before leaving the UK and upon arriving in Vienna?

I've read both UK and Austrian Embassy/ official gov websites as well as other websites with info, I'm following every Facebook page I could find, but it's all getting very confusing and frustrating and I just want to know how to go about it in the best way so that I don't miss any important steps.

For example, I know I have to register my address when I arrive and that I will get an eCard once I am working, which should allow me to access public health services, but should I also fill out the S1 and S2 forms? (If so, where do I get them?) Am I supposed to tell my local council in the UK that I'm leaving? How does the government know not to double tax me? (Am I supposed to send them something to show that I shouldn't be)

Are there free/cheap German language courses?

Where are the best places to look for English-language jobs? (At least until I speak some decent German, I don't intend to stay in an English-speaking bubble)

Any advice/tips will be much appreciated. Hope to meet up with some of you soon.

Thanks, Sam

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Re: Tips and advice about moving from the UK to Vienna

Post by morgenhund » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:23 pm

For the English speaking jobs, worth going on www.metropole.at as they have English language jobs. Also karriere.at or kununu.com
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

chasmyth England

Post by chasmyth » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:11 am

STomczack wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:28 pm
Hi all,

I am moving to Vienna in 16 days and was wondering what you think are the first/most important things I should do before leaving the UK and upon arriving in Vienna?
Did it a few years ago and remember the main things were getting police registration done over here once I found a flat and setting up a mobile phone and a bank account to allow my salary to go in and to make a transfer from the UK to Austria.

Sorting out an annual transport pass was the next step I took - a colleague got fined twice for travelling without a ticket - as the convenience was great. It is easy to forget when you dont have to swipe in amd out like Oyster.

chasmyth England

Post by chasmyth » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:56 am

An urgent tip seems to be to convert your UK driving licence to an Austrian one before 29 March to avoid needing to resit the test.

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:16 pm

The University of Vienna has language courses that are fairly reasonable. Also try out tandem partners and there is a page or group on Facebook called Sprachencafe which might be worth a look
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Was This Topic Useful?