Tips for handling bureaucracy

Tips for surviving and getting through bureaucratic hurdles.

Q&A about daily life in Vienna
chasmyth England

Tips for handling bureaucracy

Post by chasmyth » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:54 am

Austria seems really bureaucratic and I find that I get quite flustered when dealing with bureaucracy, because while my German is OK, unless I go with my wife, who is Austrian, I struggle to keep up. Does anyone else have this problem or have any tips about how to get over this? I find I need to psyche myself up a lot and sometimes struggle when confronted with it all.

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Re: Tips for handling bureaucracy

Post by morgenhund » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Preparation is key - when I naturalised I used to do meticulous preparation before every meeting - to the extent of asking fiendish questions that I knew the answer to in order to get my case officer to concede that she was unsure and then to ask her the question I really wanted to ask. A bit sneaky perhaps, but it helped.

Otherwise where it involved asking questions about how to fill out a form, if the form is available online somewhere, worth digesting it at your own speed, to make the official part more manageable.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

outta_busan Great Britain

Post by outta_busan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 am

I would agree on preparation. When I lived in Korea, work would send a Korean speaker with us, and work also had part of the Intranet dedicated to explaining what various forms meant. Over here my fiance helps me, although I really struggle with the complicated names of forms that aren't numbered. At least in Korea, from memory forms were numbered rather than having a name. The UK is similar.

Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:29 am

From some of the Facebook groups, I seriously also reckon the biggest problem is that many people get the form names wrong. This increases the likelihood of people getting confused about certain forms.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

chasmyth England

Post by chasmyth » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 pm

Apart from trying to prepare, or taking people with you, how else does one go about it. Mate here is a bit of an ostrich and struggles (been here nearly 3 years and doesn't have his Anmeldebescheinigung yet). Is there like a list or how to info?

Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Post by morgenhund » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:52 am

Help.gv.at is a useful page and a lot of the information is in English. Having naturalised, I did find that it did become a bit easier the further along I got, although I would have to concede that it helped that I used to start each meeting with my case officer with a couple of questions that I knew the answers to and knew they wouldn't probably to then get them to pull their supervisor in, and then deluge them with paperwork. And I found finding mistakes in lists of documents quite cathartic as well as rejecting Sitzungsprotokolle a great way to get them to go the extra yard. But case officers can be a lottery.

Was This Topic Useful?