Need help regarding my future

Questions about studying (at Uni) or learning (at schools) in Vienna.
Ckr

Need help regarding my future

Post by Ckr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 pm

I just turned 20 a few days ago, and I'm looking at what my options are.

I really want to study something in IT since that's a bit of a passion of mine, but on the other hand that takes a long time to finish and bills are raking up, not to mention the language barrier, but I won't mind the hardships of that path.

As an expat, what are my options to further my education, from where do I begin? I have a highschool diploma, and that's about it.

Greets!

morgenhund European Union
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl
Häupl, Sackbauer, Krankl

Re: Need help regarding my future

Post by morgenhund » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Is your high school diploma recognised here in Austria? If it is then you should be able to study here, although it might depend on your nationality as to whether or not tuition fees apply. In addition to IT degrees from the TU there are likely to also be some Universities of Applied Science (Fachhochschulen) that will have IT degrees.
Vienna is like an Ikea sofa - you know you should upgrade, but why bother when it is this comfortable.

Ckr

Post by Ckr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:35 pm

morgenhund wrote:Is your high school diploma recognised here in Austria? If it is then you should be able to study here, although it might depend on your nationality as to whether or not tuition fees apply. In addition to IT degrees from the TU there are likely to also be some Universities of Applied Science (Fachhochschulen) that will have IT degrees.

Oof, I can't find any information regarding the validity of my diploma here, it's a strong school yet I don't have faith that it's accepted here.

Let's say that it isn't, what would be the next step?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chasmyth England

Post by chasmyth » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:34 pm

Without a Matura you might need to get it via an Abendschule. Wife's nephew is doing his through evening classes so that he can then hopefully go to uni and study after dropping out and doing an apprenticeship.

philomel

Post by philomel » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:02 am

If your high school diploma is not from a country in the EU/EEA, it will probably require an Apostille. Additionally, if it is not in English or German, the diploma will have to have a translation attached provided by an officially certified court interpreter. I know it sounds complicated, but both the Apostille and translation are relatively easy to attain. If getting your diploma properly notified doesn’t work out, both the TU and all the FHs have a special Studienberechtigungsprüfung that even allows students without a Matura to study, though I think you might still have to wait a year to be eligible. One final tip, the FHs are really the way to go for IT studies unless you are planning on eventually getting a PhD. There you get more practical experience and you are almost guaranteed to finish within 3 years. That is, if you don’t flunk out beforehand. In any case, good luck!

Was This Topic Useful?